Designing the UI and brand identity for daisie has been an immensely challenging task. With all of the visual noise associated with other social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter, we aimed to take the social experience back to its core, by introducing chronological timelines, simple content discovery and a completely ad-free experience.

UX Research & Wireframing

Before I joined the company, Dom spent several months doing valuable market and UX research, printing hundreds of screenshots of various apps, annotating and analysing them for pain points, good UX and what we would do differently. The work he put in paid off on day one of the design process as it meant we already had a solid foundation of proven UX patterns to start from.

Design Process

The first day I joined, I opened Sketch on my MacBook and created a blank document. Little did I know that this document would expand to have 10+ pages with 50+ artboards describing various states in the app.

All I had to go from in the beginning were some sketches that Dom had worked on, which were extremely basic wireframes. It took a lot of work between the two of us to actually think about how the product was going to work, look and function. We got there in the end, after lots of debates about shades of orange and border widths.

We began by designing the desktop web experience, which was before we decided that we'd launch exclusively on iOS. This meant that whilst the initial design time wasn't wasted or lost, we had to redesign a lot of the UI to be suitable for smaller screens and a native experience, rather than the web.

Dom and I spent around 6-8 weeks designing the app after our initial research phase, which went through multiple iterations and stages. The end result is something we’re really happy with - but it’s important to note that the design will never be “finished”, it’ll be iterated on over time.

Picture by @ kmelendy on daisie 🌼